- This event has passed.
2019 Medicaid Planning Update
September 27 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm$275
Every year Medicaid planning and the ability to obtain MassHealth benefits become more difficult. The statute and regulations seem clear but case workers continue to identify flaws in Medicaid plans and they are looking for ways to deny benefits not only to irrevocable trusts but to last minute techniques such as the caretaker child exception, use of annuities, transfers to disabled children, and the sole benefit rule.
This program teaches you skills and techniques you need to help your client properly prepare and plan for long-term care as well as explore some last minute techniques to obtain Medicaid eligibility. Lets explore the recent case law, relevant regulatory updates, recent MassHealth challenges from irrevocable trusts to permissible transfer rules, and how best to defend against such challenges. Come and learn what you need to know to get your clients the benefits they need.
- Explore MassHealth’s latest, denying benefits after being approved, and the application of the MAAS cure to this.
- The difference between a look back period and a penalty period and permitted transfers.
- Review of annuity rules for married couples and single folks, what happens when healthy spouse dies prior to sick spouse, and MassHealth challenges to the designated beneficiary rules.
- Whether personal care contracts are permissible and how to draft them effectively.
- The two ways to create life estates, when to use them along with an income, gift and estate tax analysis associated with life estates.
- How to preserve residential and/or elderly property tax exemptions.
- A review of fair hearings and how MassHealth is challenging Medicaid planning techniques, irrevocable trusts, and nominee realty trusts.
- An operational guide to IIOTs along with a gift income and estate tax analysis of these trusts.
- What are countable and non-countable assets
Agenda and written materials:
- Copies and Analysis of Recent Cases
- Planning Opportunities
- “Ask the Experts” Q&A Session
- Current Medicaid Numbers
To register call 978-468-6528 or download and fax registration form below2019 Fall Reservation Form
All Programs are Designed to Qualify for CPE Credit Under Rules Promulgated by the State Boards of Accountancy, State Bar Associations, IRS Director of Practice and the Institute of Certified Bankers.